Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

the small things

Text I got from my BFF Aimee last night at 11:51 p.m:

"Almost forgot! Get your cute butt to Spencer's asap! Yogurt is back!"

Why did this make my night, my weekend and perhaps my entire week? I have serious trouble finding food here that I like / want to eat and  I do all my shopping either 1. getting imported apples at a local market or 2. getting chicken, eggs and cereal at Spencer's, the closest thing to a Western grocery store.

 I found these 15 cent Hindi-labeled vanilla yogurts last October and we fell hard for each other. They taste like home. I mix them with granola and mentally teleport myself to Alpine Bagel, reliving college lunchdates and spontaneous meetups at the student union. To my extreme disappointment, they mysteriously disappeared from the shelves without warning sometime in December, and I have spent the last four months scounging the dairy aisles of every store in the city. To no avail.

But they are back. I am so excited. Hmm. And I'm realizing more and more that when living nine months overseas, it really is the small things sometimes.

Oh India sometimes you don't make any sense. Is yogurt consumption a seasonal affair?

No comments:

Post a Comment