Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Happy New Year!

Is it really 2013 already?

Things I thought might have happened by this year in my ponderings circa 1994:

Flying cars.
I just gave birth to my second child with my husband Zac Hanson. 

Actually I think those were the two most common and insightful thoughts I had about the future at that time. 

It's been awhile since I have blogged. And I know I keep saying I am going to start back. But this time I REALLY am people. A resolution that won't be broken! I needed a bit of time off to kind of um, completely relocate and readjust to my latest locale. But all is good in the hood now, and I'm full of lists and ready to go.

Back by popular demand, I suppose I shall I reinstate 'What Laurel Has Been Up To,' and provide version 2.0:

1. Watching Talent Shows. Quick recap, but I moved from Canada to South Carolina last summer. My homegirl, Rebekah Makhuli aka best cousin alive happens to live here with her ghettofabulous hubs and two little munchkins, and we have been able to chill on the regular. We thrift, we cook, we discuss the possibilities related to working out, we play with her kids and we vote. This past fall we both fell head over heels for America's greatest girl group, FIFTH HARMONY. So much so that during the finale the two of us accounted for at least 250 votes.  I don't know what it is about the talent show that somehow can unravel the deepest of my emotions, but I think it has to do with parents choking up, American dreams fruitioning, and possibly the realization of and subsequent depression related to the fact that I have no vocal capabilities. Vicarious living. American Idol starts next week on January 16th TUNE IN!

2. Starting to Write My Memoir. A lot a lot a lot of people have asked me to record some of my stories into one place for all to enjoy, so I have begun the process. Even if no one actually wants to read this, I figure I might as well start writing given the possibility that I be one of those people that accidentally becomes a NY Times bestselling author.

3. Being a Blonde. Or being mistaken around town as Ke$ha, which has happened a surprising number of times since Halloween 2012... believe it or not!


4. Decorating. This one isn't that exciting, but must be included for me to consider my recap well-rounded. Rebekah has been helping me find some seriously fabulous steals and I have been slowly transforming the bachelor pad into a sparkly haven of girly delight!

5. Taking Ambien. This drug is hilarious. In September, I realized that possibly one of the reasons why I had turned into a total basket case was because I hadn't slept since July. I hopped over to the doctor, told him my woes, and left with a nice little prescription refillable until April. He was actually not kidding at all when he told me that it could possibly make me even crazier. He said not to take if it I were alone at home (I mean.... I think this was taking it a little far but surely he had to say that just in case I drove somewhere in my sleep and robbed a bank or even my neighbors of their mustard... yes that happened to someone!!), but forgot to mention somewhere in there TO NOT EVER USE ANY TECHNOLOGY OF ANY KIND after consumption. Conversations while on Ambien cannot be remembered. They also bring out the talent I apparently possess in the field of neologism. See below.


6. Eating Crap. The South = incredible food and impressive levels of grease and calories. BOJANGLESKRISPYKREMECHICKFILAQDOBAMOESBISCUITSFOODICECREAMMEXICANYUM.

7. The Sixth Sister. I have always wanted to apply to be a Big Sister through Big Brothers and Big Sisters and finally was able to! After an application, volunteer orientation, two interviews, three background checks, nine references and four months, I have a special little 7 year old girl that I get to hang out with. They did a great job matching us because she told them that she hates sweating and loves JB and painting her nails.

8. Trippin. (On Ambien and) in my Kia (but not at the same time). The last 5 months have brought trips to the coast, NC, TN, NY, SC, GA.... and it's been really fun reconnecting with my friends and family who have had to live without my visits for over 2 years.

9. SEM-ing. I got a job at a new agency in August and have been learning SO much about search engine marketing and the ins and outs of Google sponsored ads and optimizations and account management and online retail advertising and lots of other nerdy elements of my job.

10. Getting Comfy. On the couch at my therapist's. She is the best and helps me so much with all my issues related to the transition. I would recommend anyone to see a counselor just to be in charge of your life and emotions and thought processes to make sure that you're moving into adulthood and independence in the most healthy manner!! Seriously. Worth every penny. As my sister Heather told me, it's not a defeat. It's actually an awesome way to think through big issues with someone who is unbiased and professionally trained!

11. Prepping for the QUARTER CENTURY CRISES of 2013. 2013-1988=25. It's all going down this year. How has this happened?! I love it though, because birthdays and parties and especially birthday parties are the very best, and there are so many coming up!

12. Crushing on One-F-Jef. Quick recap. One-F-Jef Holm won the Bachelorette last summer, was engaged to Emily for a few months and is now back in the market. My friend Brittany and I crush on him pretty hardcore... The hair! The trend! The footwear and the skinny denim! His social consciousness! In the meantime, we exchange screenshots of his Instagram photos with captions that cannot be shared in this medium:




Peace and Blessings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment