Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

I caved!

Friends,

I can't believe that I have been sucked into the world of blogging, but this seems to be the best way to keep up with everyone while I am gone! I am still working on finding the most presh template of course, so bear with me until my blog reaches its full potential! I can't believe that there are less than five weeks until I leave for South Asia! This summer has flown by. 

Things to be thankful for:

-I am less than $5,000 away from my support goal. That means that I am over 75% done! Praise God, and thank you from the bottom of my heart to those of you who have given sacrificially in order to make this trip possible for me. I have been blown away by the responses and the ways God has provided for me this summer. 

-I have gotten all of my shots, medications, paperwork and everything pretty much done in order for me to leave the country for this amount of time. Now I am just waiting to get the green light on my visa application!

-I have been experimenting with a variety of new hair techniques to prepare myself for an extremely natch year to come. The good news is that God has blessed me with curly hair, and with the help of my trusted teasing comb, it looks like I will be able to have some volume without all of my beloved tools. I know you are joining me in breathing a sigh of relief. 

-I have fulfilled one of my lifelong dreams of holding a job as a waitress, and have had a wonderful experience this summer at Lucky 32. If you are in the Greensboro area over the next two weeks and want to experience a fabulous southern meal, stop by and ask for me. The black bean cakes and shrimp and grits are to die for! I must add that you never know how much it means to be friendly to your server until you have been in her shoes. Trust me.


-I have been able to spend some time reading a couple excellent books to help prepare me for my trip. I would HIGHLY recommend reading Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl Wudunn. It is a shocking, eye-opening and raw expose of the realities of the world of sex trafficking and the horrific nightmare that these girls live in. I have also enjoyed books written by the founder of IJM, Gary Haugen. I'd recommend The Good News About Injustice.

- I have been meeting South Asian people left and right and have been asking lots of questions in order to prepare myself better for living in such a different culture. I recently sat next to a man on a plane who was from a city close to where I will be, and he helped to get me extremely excited about life there. He even wrote down the names of his favorite tourist spots and the best kinds of food to order if I can't handle spicy!


-I have had the privilege of watching God provide not only for me this summer, but also providing jobs for almost all of my friends who have been working tirelessly and enduring rounds and rounds of interviews. PTL! We are literally all over the world. 


Anyways, I plan on keeping you posted throughout this journey and want to thank you again so much for your prayers for me, your kind notes, and your contributions. PLEASE keep in touch.


Love love love, Laurel

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read about your journey. You are a true inspiration and I am blessed to have you as a friend.

    ReplyDelete