Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

to the laceys



I honestly don't even know how to start this post, which explains why it is several days late. As many of you know, the dearest people that I have had over here left on Friday night to go back to the U.S. I met Vic and Trish on my first full day in the city at the mall with my roommates. It was then that I was also introduced to their daughter Robin, who came to be a super close friend as well. Over the last six months, the impact that the Lacey family has had on my life has been huge-- I don't even feel like I can express it in a way that explains how much this family has meant to me. Before I came I didn't even know who they were or that they would make such a difference in my quality of life over here.



Robin and I were instant friends. I think it was a couple days after I arrived that her parents had some interns over to their flat when Robin and I had a serious girl talk in her room and realized how much we have in common and how fabulous it was to hang out. This led to being inseparable for every weekend the first three months of my stay, and it made the transition sooo much easier. We baked, watched tons of Gilmore Girls, went out, went to the villages and stayed up extremely late on several occasions making videos from our tours around the city. A major highlight of course was our five-star hotel-hopping and food extravaganza weekend. I am so thankful that God provided such a great friend and also kept us safe as we romped around the city (...sorry for my bad influence Vic!) In December, Robin headed home to find a new job and return to her life in America. As of last week, she started a new job at Air One Radio as their special media extraordinairre (not sure of the exact title...). I cannot wait until I can see her again and I am so proud of her! Fortunately, I think I can persuade her to move to Toronto so that we can be roommates....!!


Fortunately for me, when she left, her parents were still around and her bedroom became the room for their other adopted daughters, Aimee and myself. I stayed there pretty much the entire month of December and into January. The Laceys taught me so much about hospitality and the importance of always having an open home. I know that their place has been a haven to  many interns who have come and gone before me, and I know that their presence in this city has eased the minds of quite a few sets of parents. Trish was always willing to have us over for dinner, to help us learn how to cook new things and to have girl time when we needed it. She even helped me make two dresses and was patient when my darts sucked or my lines weren't straight like hers. I learned how to assemble a zipper and a hook and eye, to make homemade tortillas and an assortment of other baked goods. Trish is one of those people who is totally selfless and she proved it all the time-- whether through taking us to the doctor to taking care of us when we were sick to checking on me every couple hours when I couldn't sleep for weeks in February to always being there to talk with about absolutely anything. I miss you mama Trish!!

Together Vic and Trish also taught me so much about the kind of relationship I aspire to have. It was really cool to see Trish's unwavering support of Vic and Vic's love and appreciation for her. Aimee and I asked them several times to impart their secrets of a successful marriage on us and we loved gaining wisdom from them.


Vic was our office's fearless leader and was responsible for building the police relations in this city from the ground up. Three years ago the police station didn't even want us in their office. Now, members of our team have had tea with some of the highest ranking criminal investigations officers in the state. This can be directly attributed to Vic and his relationship-building and leadership skills. And patience. Because of his hard work and faith in God's passion for justice and rescuing girls, over 150 young girls are now living in freedom. 150 girls who have been freed from unbelievable torture and abuse and given a chance again. God even provided one final successful rescue operation on their last morning in the city.


Vic also spent every Sunday afternoon going to the local villages to take photos of village families and their kids. I got the privilege of joining him most Sundays and seeing the kids literally running in huge packs when they saw him coming towards their village on the bike rickshaw. The families would gather in crowds asking for their photos to be taken, and he would give their kids candy and return the next week with prints for them. Most of these people have never been able to own a photo of their family- so in that way God used Vic to be an enormous blessing and gift to the hundreds of people in this community even apart from his immeasurable contributions towards justice.

I have to also say how much  I will miss Vic constantly making fun of me: from repeating all my embarrassing ditz comments to telling me he would put gross pictures of me online, etc...The last week definitely hasn't been the same and it was soo hard to see you leave, but I will be visiting California soon and look forward to sipping on some margaritas and eating Mexican with my second family. Y'all are phenomenal. I love you and miss you so much already!!

6 comments:

  1. Laurel, I just read your letter out loud to Tricia. We were both crying by the end of it. Thank you very much for writing it. We miss you enormously and are very much looking forward to the day when we can meet again. I thought of you just yesterday when I met with Sharon and we talked of one of the stories you worked on. God has given you a great gift that is being used in more ways than you can imagine. See you soon, Vic and Tricia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia was also a gift to our life!
    The Laceys are definately very special and precious people!!
    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have no idea how much all of this means to me. And you have no idea how much of an influence you were/are in my life. If you were not in India, I know I wouldn't be the strong women that I am now. Just seeing your strength and beauty in your relationships changed my life. I love you very much. thank you so much for posting this. My mom told me about it and I cried as well. Us Lacey's are such babies haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I am crying after reading that post. And I have never met the Laceys!!

    Thank you so much to the Lacey family for loving my sister so well when she was so far away from us! I am really thankful for you, and would love to meet you someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurel! After meeting the Lacey's for only a few moments over GPG, I know that this is the truth. They are such an incredible couple and I am so glad they were there for you in Kolkata. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vic,
    I am glad that I met you. You are a wonderful person. Blessed you are.

    Regards to you and your family.

    With Him,in Him,for Him.

    Cornelius.

    ReplyDelete