Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

my heart is full now

Today was pretty much the best day of my life. I finally got to go to the village and meet the girls that we had been praying and preparing for, and I am sooo sad that I met them just a week before I go home! Rupali had told them that they would have a surprise visitor on Monday, and I did not know what I had coming. When I walked in the door, they all stood up and greeted me with roses and this huge flower garland fit for a queen. Total royal treatment! I started by sitting down with them and getting to know each of the vibrant girls. They told me their names, about their families and what their dreams are. None of them could restrain their smiles, and watching Rupali with them was one of the most touching things I have ever seen. They had definitely never met or seen a white person before and had lots of questions for me! The whole time I was wishing that everyone else who contributed and who read and cared for them could have been there too and met them. They were so beautiful. 

Each one of these girls comes with a story- and for most of them the story can't be told without tears. For  almost all of them, Rupali's center is the only place in the world where they can laugh and be free and play and learn. In fact, none of them had ever known the concept of playing until they found her. Almost all of them face unspeakable abuse in the home. Looking around, I saw the walls lined with colorful pictures that they had drawn. I looked through books with sewing samples they had made. I saw boards with math problems and English lessons on them. They are so eager to learn.

After meeting all the girls (which took awhile because there are sooo many!!), I was asked to surprise them with the sewing machines and talk to them about how I learned about them and what I want for them. I wasn't exactly prepared for this, but as I found myself sitting in a room with about 30 gorgeous smiling girls, somehow the Lord just gave the words to me. I told them that it is so important for them to know how valuable they are. I told them that getting an education is one of the most important things they can do, and as long as they are learning and practicing their skills, they will be able to stand on their own two feet. I told them that even when life is hard for them, they must never give up and must always have strength to stick to their school. Then, in my total girl power mode, I wanted to tell them how beautiful they all are. That they aren't cursed for being girls, but are actually very blessed because girls are God's special and precious gifts. That God loves them so, so much and will always be there for them to give them strength and to give them hope. That God brought me to them and gave me so much love for them. And that my friends back at home love them too and want them to enjoy the new sewing machines that we wanted to give them. They erupted into thank you's and giggles. They couldn't believe that people so far away from them could care about them enough to give them something so valuable. It was especially cool because the two machines they had at the center had recently broken and were no longer usable.

While I was talking to them, the Singer delivery guy was working to assemble the first of five brand new machines for them - a variety of machines to bring them all the way from beginner to expert tailors. He spent time with the older girls and sewing instructor to show them exactly how the machine worked. It was so cool to see it all set up.

Then the girls reeeeally wanted to show me their henna skills, one other trade they are practicing at the center. So obviously now I am decked out up and down both arms and legs. The girls were amazing and I wish it would never wear off! Oh and by the way, they want to meet all my friends, so you might want to start booking your flights out here :)

I pretty much can't put into words the feeling I have after meeting them all and spending the day there. The girls are so loving and so attentive and so hungry for affection and knowledge about the world. I want to give them everything. It is the kind of overflowing-heart feeling you get after you do something that is totally worthwhile and lasting and full of love. And because I am out of words, other than THANK YOU, here are some pictures (they love the digital camera!):



























1 comment:

  1. gal, its amazing how you have gone beyond your usual work & schedules to take time & effort to bring solid happiness in other's lives :)
    love the heart that God gives to people :):)

    ReplyDelete