Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

adaptation

Hi!! I have completed my first weekend here!! I am getting more and more used to the time difference and the jet lag is sloooowly getting better, but I know it will be a few days until my body is used to an opposite time zone. I'll tell you how things have been going and what I have been up to since my arrival in this beautiful city. Saturday I woke up kind of late and went to this really cute English-style breakfast/brunch place called Flury's with Katherine and Aimee. They are being so awesome about making me feel so at home and much more comfortable- I am so super thankful for them!





After the lunch, we went to a mall because I HAD to find a hair dryer of course and I also wanted to find some harem pants. A lot of people here wear them, and they are totally Aladdin-esque and exotic and I absolutely love them. It was interesting because the mall was exactly like malls at home, and it wasn't far at all from where we stay. I know I will like going there sometimes because the air is so clean and it's a reminder of home. At the mall we met a staff couple who lives here and whose daughter (my age) is visiting for a few months. It was really nice to meet them and get to know them some- I know it will be awesome to have a 'mom and dad aged' couple here. Let's see.. After the mall we went to another mall and by the end of that trip I was falling asleep in the car- SO extremely tired and jet lagged and I couldn't pretend to be awake anymore. I came back and took a majorly serious nap and then was up for a little, went back to sleep, woke up at about 5 am and started my day then. I couldn't go back to sleep. It was cool though because I talked to several people on Skype and got to catch them up some. 

Today was the best day EVER and marked my official falling in love with this city. We went to a church  that was really nice- pretty big and they played songs that I am familiar with at home. I loved the community and the fellowship and could tell that people there were very close. It was actually the church's 5 year anniversary so they had this big celebratory lunch afterwards at a Chinese restaurant which was really fun. I was sitting with these three national girls who were SO nice and were asking me lots of questions about America and what my impressions were like so far. One of my goals here is to make several friends who are actually from this area, and so I asked them for their cell numbers so that I could call them when I got mine and we could do something! They seemed really excited about it and when I left they were like "We'll be expecting calls Laurel!' So presh! I will also say that I loved seeing people of all different nationalities and skin colors worshipping the Lord together- it reminded me of heaven and got me excited about getting involved at this church. 

After lunch today, Vic (the man who is here with his wife and daughter) took me, Aimee and Robin to a village where he goes every Sunday after church to bring candy to the kids and take pictures of the people. He comes back with printed photos and the village people absolutely ADORE him. Today we travelled via bicycle rickshaws- one for me and Vic and one for Aimee and Robin. I have to say it was a little weird becuase I felt like a princess riding through this super poor area, so I liked to get out of it and play with them when I could. A lot of them have never seen a picture of themselves, their children, or their families together. The kids would come running at us and even though I was in an impoverished neighborhood where they all have essentially nothing, the joy of the occasion made is so fun and I LOVED it. These people are absolutely gorgeous. I am not that good at taking pictures yet, but I captured some awesome ones. A lot of them I am posting on Facebook, but I'll put some of my favorites up here :) I can't wait to do this every Sunday, and I am looking forward to budgeting money to bring them treats. The tough thing is that I want to give them all an education, all food, all clothes, all houses, and all tons of hugs. But, given what I have, just going to spend time with them and seeing them all laugh and be SO excited to see us come made it absolutely perfect. 

                                                  

                                                  








First day of work tomorrow! yay! Keep the emails coming, they mean so much :)

Oh, and a picture of traffic:

LOVE YOU ALL-

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Laurel! So exciting so far! Can't wait to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete