What.an.experience.
Today I tried out the metro for the first time. I was going shopping with my friend Dona and my roommate Shamina to look for some Indian tops (Kurtas). Dona had told me about this place that has lots of clothes at great prices in this indoor/outdoor market area, so we decided to go after work today.
In order to get there, you have to take the metro. I was nervous to say the least, because I am realizing that I am not as much of a fan of large crowds as maybe I thought. We got our tickets, went down the stairs, waited for awhile and then hopped on. Just kidding. You do not hop on this metro. You barge and shove and barricade on. At least tonight you did, or you didn't make it on. Interestingly enough, the women pretty much go to the right side of the car and the men go to the left. I found my way on, headed right as instructed and was holding the bar above me for support. A few seconds later, Shamina was like Laurel, rotate. That would be because a man's hand was riiiiight about a centimeter from a place I didn't want it to be, so I thought, good eye girl and I rotated.
As more and more people packed onto the metro, I was trying to think of this as an adventure. I was looking around me, soaking in this extremely cultural experience, and then it was time to get off. Hmmmm. I have never been into screamo music/mosh pit experiences, but there I was in the middle of one. As I was trying to push my way to the door to get out, I was literally being thrown from left to right and back to left and then.... I felt something yanking on my arm and took a moment to determine whether or not it was still in fact attached to my torso. Yes, it was. Things were looking good but I still had about two feet to go and the car was moving.
And ladies and gentlemen, I made it off. With the end in sight, I mustered up the sass, energy and strength to exit the cart alive. And better yet, we made it to the market and I got a couple new tops for the equivalent of 6 USD.
Never a dull moment around here!
post some pics of your new kurtas! i want to see the beauty of natch laurel :)
ReplyDelete