Pages

Saturday, December 25, 2010

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something I can do. - Edward Everett Hale

A few weeks ago I had mentioned how this year for Christmas I wanted to do something really special for the girls at our private aftercare home. Eighteen absolutely gorgeous, strong, resilient, loving and precious girls that I have been privileged to get to know. Eighteen girls who have been rescued from the throes of utter darkness, abuse, humiliation, exploitation and fear and have been given a chance for a new life. A new life with purpose, opportunity, care and laughter.

I honestly can't fully describe what it has been like to get to know these girls. I came here thinking that I was coming to help them, but they are clearly the ones who are teaching and helping me. They show me what it means to be joyful even when your circumstances are difficult. They show me how to smile and laugh through pain.

The first few times I spent with them I had a lot of trouble looking at them and imagining them stuck in brothels, being forced to do sex work and being drugged and beaten. But the more time I spent with them the more I realized there is no use in thinking of that. That life is no longer theirs.

Everything they have has been given to them, and it isn't much. I kept thinking, how much fun would it be to surprise them this year for Christmas? With the language barrier, it is hard to communicate well with them- most of the time we play games together, dance (they LOVE dancing and put all my moves to shame), watch movies, do hair, etc. I really wanted them to know how much I love them and how special they are. I wanted them to know how lucky I am to be their friend. So a couple of interns and I spent the last few weeks gathering their gifts, complete with jeans, tops, kurtas, scarves, necklaces and candy. Everything we found was specific for each girl. Here is a picture of some of it before it was wrapped- so colorful!!


This past Thursday we went over to deliver all the gifts. We had cake, we danced, we all hung out. This experience was a true testament to how giving is infinitely better than receiving. Watching them tear open their presents- grinning and in shock- was indescribably awesome. It was such a joyous afternoon. They tried on all their new things. I showed them the sorority scarf tie technique. They were catwalking. One of the 11 year olds couldn't look in the mirror without giggling because she couldn't believe she looked so nice. We did get them nice stuff, but it was nothing in comparison to the gift they give us.

There was some talk about if we were giving them too much. But to me, it is about giving them the best. Giving them dignity. Honoring them. Giving them what you would want to receive yourself. Showing them that they are worth the absolute best. Giving to them from my bank of resources that is God's and is to be given freely from.

Anyways, all of this is to say that Christmas for me has been different than others that I have had. I am so thankful for these girls and for this opportunity. I would give them all the world if I could. I am going to see if I can post some pictures from the day if I blur their faces, because I know you would LOVE to see them. And this isn't to say that I am so generous but that I am thankful God has put such a burden on my heart for these girls and has given me the capacity to love on them tons while I am here.

And I am only here because of the overwhelming support I have from home. So thank YOU.

"At the end of life we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done.

We will be judged by 'I was hungry and you gave me food to eat, I was naked and you clothed me, I was homeless and you took me in.'

Hungry not only for bread- but hungry for love. Naked not only for clothing- but for human dignity and respect. Homeless not only for want of a room and bricks- but homeless because of rejection."

Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment