Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

scatterbrained

I haven't blogged in almost a week! I am so, so sorry readers! I think I have been at a loss of things to write about, so this post is going to be kind of random.

Since I last posted, my best friend here went home. I am really really sad about it, but I am so glad that we got to be inseparable for almost 3 months. She definitely made the transition so much easier for me. Come back Robin!!



I have to say that one of the greatest joys of being here and being able to remain sane has been the result of all the awesome e-mails I have received. My friends and family members have been incredible. I love hearing how you all are doing, and I love being able to write back and catch everyone up. Thank you so much for being so thoughtful!

The last week has been a struggle for me, not necessarily in terms of my own relationship with the Lord, but in terms of asking God some big 'why' questions. Early last week I went to one of the government-run aftercare facilities to perform a bollywood dance (I'll get to that) for the Christmas party we had there. This particular home housed around 300 girls, ranging vastly in age and also in their situations before being sent there. Quite frankly, it was one of the saddest and most miserable places I have ever seen. The girls are all there as a result of some kind of abuse, abandonment, poverty, etc. and are locked inside these huge cement buildings unless they have some kind of special program to attend. We had purchased lunch for all of them, and as I sat in the room with them as they were lined up and given all the same meal of rice and chicken, I couldn't help but to cry. They have no choice over what they eat, where they go, where they live, how long they are there, etc. As an American where personal choice is a huge element of my own well-being, I had a lot of trouble seeing this place. It was dark and prison-like. I can't get them off my mind. And so I have just been struggling with why they are there, why they got the lot they did and I got what I did, why they don't have families, why they didn't receive love, etc. I know the easy answer is original sin, but it's certainly harder to come to terms with when it's at the expense of a little girl sitting in front of me. It's hard stuff. I wish I could change everything.

So to lighten the mood: We are performing a dance to this song for every Christmas party at the aftercare homes. As in, true bollywood dancing. Some have been lucky enough to see me rehearsing on Skype. I will be more than happy to give individual performances because I finally have all the moves down and it's hilarious. And (obviously) they gave me a solo in the middle- which our instructor calls my 'rap'- and in which I completed with a hair flip and all (that was for you CP). Two more performances to go.

This weekend pretty much all of the interns start leaving for Christmas- to go home, to go on a trip, etc. It will be kinda weird with no one around here, but I am looking forward to being refreshed and experiencing Christmas in a culture where it is not a big deal. It should help me really focus on what Christmas is meant to celebrate.

I am pretty much rambling now so I am going to get going here- I will have lots of updates coming up soon. Love you all SO much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment