Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

cold showers and mosquitos

I must begin by saying that this is not a complaint post. Quite the contrary- it is actually meant to show you that even I, Miss Priss herself, can get over things that I once would have said were bare minimum living standards. Hopefully this will be entertaining to those of you who never thought I could do this :)

With that being said, today I would like to highlight the two current issues that my roommates and I are facing: cold showers and bed bugs/mosquitos. BOTH of which will be non-issues here pretty soon, once we find a competent repair guy and the weather gets colder.

I will start with the showers. About a month ago, our hot water heater broke. We have tried several times to get a repairman to come and fix it. The first two times he was a no-show. The last two times he has come, informed us that it is in fact broken, and promptly left. Brilliant assessment. So needless to say we are stuck with the cold showers, and I'm not talking your typical cold shower. I am talking freezing, goosebump producing, heart-racingly cold showers. So, this is how it goes. I get up at about 7:15, eat my imported Honey Bunches of Oats, spend about 5-10 minutes preparing for what is to come, and then I man up and decide it's time. I turn on the water. My body quickly turns into an icicle. My fists are clenched. Frigid tears running down my face. Jogging in place to keep my blood flowing. Wash and run. Wash and run.

Onto the mosquitos. It's interesting how different they are in every region. The mosquitos in North Carolina are super super fast and are hard to catch. The mosquitos I remember at camp in Ontario were really slow and subsequently easier to get to. I don't think it matters how fast or slow the mosquitos are here, because they are everywhere. I am starting to wish that I had actually filled my anti-malaria prescription. There is truly nothing like falling asleep to the perpetual feeling of bugs crawling on you and waking up with welts. I think maybe it's because my room is the closest to the front door. But regardless, its OOC. Out of control.

For your visual pleasure: Katherine's feet after an especially brutal attack. Who wants to visit?!

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness. you are a good sport! i LOL-ed at your description of your morning ritual- especially the thought of you jogging both in the shower and to get out of it!

    as for the bedbugs... sounds terrible. looks like those bites are bedbugs not mosquitos. do you need me to send you a bug net? are there malaria-carrying mosquitos in calcutta??

    -heather (the sister)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i've got you beat here, laurel. our shower has been cold for about a month as well, but over the past two weeks there has been a slight electrical current running through our water. it's freezing and you feel like your getting static-shocked all over your body. very funny post though. i'll have to try the running in place things.

    ReplyDelete