I read this book cover to cover this past weekend. It was a quick read, but I found myself having to take a couple breaks to process what I was reading. It is the story of Lakshmi, a 13 year old Nepali girl who was trafficked into India and sold by her step-father so that he could have extra gambling money. The entire story is written in diary entry form from her perspective and is one of the most moving stories on this issue. I found myself extremely saddened, infuriated and compelled to act. Patricia McCormick did extensive research in both Nepal and India and Lakshmi represents a collection of true stories based on her findings. Definitely, definitely, definitely pick it up and start reading.

defs going to add this to my december reading list. love the posts! miss you!
ReplyDeletexo
i just ordered this on amazon. thanks for the suggestion. :) love you!
ReplyDelete-heather (the sister)