Dhonnobad = thank you in Bengali. Thanksgiving = my favorite holiday of all time.
This was the first Thanksgiving that I have spent not in Columbia since I was 4 months old. I have millions of memories with my sisters and cousins over the years and I was really bummed to be gone for it this year and to be in a country where it isn't celebrated. However, I think that being away from the normal tradition enabled me to spend a lot more time reflecting upon what I truly am thankful for. We didn't have the workday off, but I got a change to really think during morning devotions about how grateful I am that God has provided for me so abundantly during this past year. These verses are a great reminder:
Colossians 3:17 "Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to the Father through him."
1 Chronicles 16:34 "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good. His love endures forever."
Colossians 4:2 "Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving."
1 Thess 5:18 "Give thanks in all circumstances."
So I wrote a thanksgiving list. It was so fun to spend time doing, and I really want to make more of a habit of writing down what I am grateful for and what I really appreciate. Gratitude is a very fulfilling feeling. A few that definitely made the cut:
- My salvation. The gift of life I have been given by my Savior, the hope that it gives me, and the ability I have to live in freedom because of it.
- Forgiveness. The forgiveness of my own sins and the capacity to forgive others.
- Being in a place where I can practice my faith openly.
- God guiding me through my senior year of college, graduating from one of the best universities in the country, and placing me in this city.
- God's continuous provision for me and my family of every monetary and material need that we have.
- Two parents and four sisters who love me deeply despite my faults, are there for me, support me and encourage me.
- My current opportunity to see God working to bring restoration and hope to girls in this city.
- My mom's cooking
- The overabundance of wonderful relationships I have- whether it be any of my incredible friendships- my girlfriends, guy friends, special relationships with several women who have guided me and loved me along the way, precious babysitting kids, etc. Words can't express.
- Creativity
- The word hope, the concept of it, and the fact that it's my middle name!
- Opportunity
- Music
- The Internet- it makes communicating with the other side of the world essentially effortless
- Hot showers.
These are just a few things, but I really want to emphasize how special this Thanksgiving was, even thought I was dreading being away for it. I managed to get some pictures from the day. The two highlights were all the homemade food AND the game of charades. More specifically, Vic getting my selection of Lady Gaga and his fabulous interpretation.
But first, Aimee and me at work, waiting for the festivities to begin:
All purpose flour. Obviously called Maida. Very tricky to track down.
Making angel biscuits!! I knew I had to do this for it to really feel like Thanksgiving.
Clearly very excited about my successful completion of a from-scratch recipe, haha. Note the kurta! And please don't note the excessive frizz. I
Turned out perfectly!
Robin and I decided that they look like big kisses. So Feb 14th is going to involve a batch of pink ones!
Our homemade stuffing. It was completely made up and totally delish.
The spread of yummy food!! Thank you Hyatt for the turkey!
One of the best parts: Skyping with my family in SC. I am so glad we were able to do that!!
Christmas is less than a month away? What?

No comments:
Post a Comment